Slow is not my style! I'm always in a hurried flurry. If I say 'hurry up, guys, let's go' once a day I say it fifty, yet I never get more accomplished or get anywhere early--as MANY of you can attest to this truth! I set my clocks ahead only to remind myself that now I have extra time. I cram too many things into much too short time slots. I am beginning to realize, maybe it's because my frenzy is actually an internal problem that manifests itself externally.
Earlier today we took Christmas card photos. Trying to get everyone ready and out the door for the best evening light, we were harried and grumpy--sounds like fun, huh? When we returned and started dinner I realized what my heart has known for some time...It ain't workin'!
SO, tonight I slowed down...I french-braided my baby girl's hair, just because. I sat and watched The Polar Express til the end. I listened, really listened, to my wee one's imagination run wild at bedtime...without wishing he'd hurry up. It felt really good. It's a feeling I want to experience more often than that hustle-bustle I described earlier. I read recently that multitasking doesn't necessarily get more things done faster... in some cases it actually slows you down, as you never complete a thought process or a task efficiently. Just like most of the people I know, I have many things to do each day, and multitasking makes me feel effective, however, I am realizing that while my jobs may be complete, I don't remember many details. I certainly don't remember savoring any feelings other than "Oh, how I wish I was finished!" I want to begin living as though I really realize that at the end of the journey you find that the reward was the journey itself. I want to love this ride, not wish it would hurry up and be over...it'll be over soon enough, and I'll be wishing for another round.
As this Christmas season is upon us...I am praying and planning to slow down mentally and work more intentionally on whatever my task at hand may be. I want to feel and experience this life in a way that I remember and absorb as much as possible. SO if you see me in my frenzy, remind your dear sister to 'slow down and breathe!' I am meditating on Psalms 127(NCV) "If the Lord doesn't build the house, the builders are working for nothing...It is no use for you to get up early and stay up late, working for a living. The Lord gives sleep to those He loves." He's really the only One who can make my heart be still. It's my job to seek that time with Him so He can...Luke 10:38-42 {vv41-42 But the Lord answered her,"Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things. Only one thing is important. Mary has chosen the better thing, and it will never be taken away from her."}
Meditating, pondering, savoring, resting...those are the roots that lead to wings we can soar on.
LOVE this...SO glad you slowed down long enough to write it...I'm joining you, my friend. :*}
ReplyDeleteAre you reading my mind? So glad to know I'm not alone...and so glad you shared. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat lesson for all of us, Edie. Well said! Love you!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this post! So glad you shared, that really hit home for me!!
ReplyDeleteThis is why I LOVE blogs! If you don't take the time to write what you are thinking you miss the opportunity to be encouraged by others who feel completely the same AND you miss the opportunity to encourage others! This is my goal for 2011- to live intentionally. It's really really hard- and pretty easy too...love you!
ReplyDelete