Boy did I learn and get reminded of some lessons this afternoon through a not-so-fun phone call. Knowing that many people may see this and not wanting to do any more damage...the call shall remain very vague, and I will only detail the lessons I learned and was reminded of today from my receiving end....
1. NEVER assume anything.
2. ALWAYS be kind...stand your ground when it's worth standing, but do it with kindness and dignity. You will likely face the person again in other circumstances.
3. Don't judge motives of people you barely know, especially in an accusatory, condescending tone. It gets you NOWHERE FAST!!!
4. Everyone makes mistakes...even you. Own up, fess up and move on.
5. Just because someone makes trivial choices that you don't prefer, it doesn't make their choices wrong and yours right.
6. Sometimes silence is best. Remember what your mama said "If you can't say something nice...."
7. Maybe they are having a bad day and you were the last straw...benefit of the doubt is a good policy.
8. You don't always have to prove that you are right to actually be right. ;)
9. A kind word and a listening ear is invaluable --and tears never hurt either :*)
10. Even mama bears get their feelings hurt.
11. Don't mess with my cub...grrr!!
12. God's grace and His people can heal many, many hurts--big or small.
I will no doubt encounter my offender again. Today unfortunately was our first conversation. :( I plan to be kind, but still stand my ground and next time, I will be guarded, but prepared (spiritually speaking).
No coincidence that our verse this week on our board is Colossians 4:6 "Let the words you speak always be full of grace. Season them with salt. Then you will know how to answer everyone." I can't help but hope in my flesh that 'she' will think twice before she speaks to others as she chose to deal with me today.
I so miss talking to you because you are so good at finding the life lessons in everyday life. Even without knowing the details I can just imagine Mama Bear coming out -- but with dignity and grace. This year has been an interesting one at school. I think I need to print these out and keep them to remind me of how to deal with students... and their parents. :)
ReplyDeleteWow. You are really mature. Unlike me. :( Thanks for letting us into your world...even when it's painful.
ReplyDeleteTHIS is why I LOVE blogs. I am totally convinced if the whole world wrote blogs and you could read your "enemies" facebook page status's (how they love their kids, the funny things they say and do)...if we could REALLY see each other's hearts, well, the world wouldn't be so painful. When you are the recipient of someone else's "blank"- fill in the blank with anger, pride, jealousy, hatred, fear, anxiety etc etc etc...I would say it's almost impossible to NOT react. Well, it is impossible without His help, b/c it's not our nature to "turn the other cheek". I've really been doing this experiment this year- when someone really makes me mad or hurts my feelings, I imagine that they are me- with the exact same things I'm going through right now and see if that helps me see them differently. Not always, but usually the defensive "reaction" melts away, or at least lessens a little. Anyway- right along those same lines of what you're saying- what a great example of being human and choosing the hard but right thing. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteLest you get the wrong idea about my maturity level...I was trembling with anger and cried a load, my feelings were hurt. BUT I want to put into practice everything I learned in that experience...I don't want to make anyone else feel like I unnecessarily felt yesterday.... Love y'all!!
ReplyDelete