♥♥♥♥♥

♥♥♥♥♥

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lessons from the dirt and the HEAT

It's time to plant the pumpkins...or rather PAST time. In my hurry of life lately I have waited later than I would like to get my pumpkins in the ground. The pumpkin patch is my baby...not sure if it's because Tony lets it be mine or because he is GLAD he doesn't have it to do! Anyway I started out this morning hoeing and raking BY HAND to get it ready for the six little hands that will help me plant the seeds. NOW most of you who know me know that I don't care much to sweat. Today that care was cast aside, and sweat I did. Praise God for the sweet, gentle breeze He brought when I thought I was truly about to melt!

As I was cleaning out weeds, casting away rocks and building up rows the thought occurred to me...If Adam and Eve had not sinned, would we dig, plant and sweat for the fruits of our labor or would God just have them available for us? Part of the curse was that Adam would "toil...all the days of your life....Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you....By the sweat of your face you will eat bread, till you return to the ground...." (Gen 3:17-19). SO this hard work we do is part of the curse, YET there is blessing. Had we not had to till the ground and rid it of thorns and thistles to plant, would we ever know the smell of fresh dirt or the beauty of it's rich blackness? Would our muscles be strong from the back breaking work of 'working' the ground if we never worked it?

As always, there are consequences to sin in our lives...disobedience brings pain. However, there is a promise after the curse and upon our obedience..."And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to HIS purpose." Romans 8:28 So we have fruit that grows from the labor we put forth...good. Our muscles are stronger because they are used for work...good. We smell and enjoy the feel of fresh dirt and have a sense of accomplishment...good. God isn't all about the curse. While He demands justice; He is ultimately about our obedience and His love for us and our good. And even when we disobey...at our repentance He has promised to work it for our good. He is GOOD! Even in sweaty labor, there are clouds for shade and a breeze to cool...



...and the hope of fruit to come.

"for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

1 comment:

  1. I hope that your garden catches up and grows like crazy! I wanted to let you know my blog as moved to www.crystalcattle.com Check me out there!

    ReplyDelete